The light tower at the Big Bay Point Lighthouse is our pick for Room of the Day. Let’s face it though, there can’t be a light tower without a lighthouse!
The views of Lake Superior seen from the light tower are just magnificent; they really speak for themselves. To boot, there’s 360 degrees of landscape (& lake) to gaze upon! Where else could you get that kind of view? Two flights of spiral staircase lead to the top of the tower. Look across the beautiful U.P. terrain & miles of shoreline. Aside from the mere fact that we don’t stumble on lighthouses everyday, the property has a lot to offer, including a popular bed & breakfast.
Other notable characteristics & amenities include:
- built in 1896 & has since been restored
- 360 degree views from light tower
- 7 guest rooms (each with a private bath)
- spacious living room w/ fireplace
- brick dining room
- large kitchen
- 1,000 square foot foghouse
- concrete pier
- screened gazebo
- massage hut
- 3-stall garage
- 2 brick sheds
- 60′ bluff w/ 670′ Lake Superior shoreline