This weekend, walk or run for a cause you care about!
This Saturday, September 24, 2016 marks the 9th Annual Great Lakes Run for Recovery as well as the annual Walk to End Alzheimer’s®. Exercise for the cause!
9th Annual Great Lakes Run for Recovery:
The Great Lakes Run for Recovery benefits the Great Lakes Recovery Centers (GLRC) Foundation. All proceeds from the event go towards helping to provide support, treatment and prevention services for those affected by mental health disorders and substance abuse. 13 communities in the U.P. house locations and resources available to help those in need. There are four residential treatment facilities. Visit Great Lakes Recovery Centers for more information.
- Walk or run:
-10K run, ($20)
-5K walk ($20)
-Hero’s Challenge ($15-for police firefighters, first responders and public safety men and women)
- Registration deadline for any of the above is tomorrow, Thursday, September 22nd at 11:59 p.m. EDT, visit Run Sign Up to register
- Meet at the GLR Adolescent Services Center located at 241 Wright St., Marquette, MI 49855
- Day of race registration begins at 8:00 a.m.
- Race begins at 9:00 a.m.
Annual Walk to End Alzheimer’s®:
The Walk to End Alzheimer’s® raises funds and awareness to further the care and support offered by the Alzheimer’s Association to those affected by Alzheimer’s, while also aiding in the funding of Alzheimer’s research. In 2015, more than $75 million was raised for the cause. The walk began in 1989 as the ‘Memory Walk®.’ 600 communities nationwide participate in the Walk, held annually. Visit the Alzheimer’s Association for more information.
- Register here
- Meet at the Jacobetti Complex (NMU) located at 2296 Sugar Loaf Ave., Marquette, MI 49855 for the 2 mile walk
- Day of walk registration begins at 9:00 a.m.
- Ceremony begins at 10:00 a.m.
- Walk begins at 10:30 a.m.
Information courtesy of the above organizations.